Get a discount on AHIP! Click here for $50 off the cost of your test.
AHIP 2023 has launched, and certification season is in full swing. This year, as in previous years, members of the NCC team took the test on day one. Here’s what we found.
The new CMS rule on call recording IS mentioned in AHIP, with a start date of October 2022. We’re actively seeking more guidance from CMS and carrier partners on the exact requirements for agents and will communicate final guidance and recommendations for technology well in advance of AEP.
The downloads of the five modules are searchable this year! This is a nice quality of life improvement that makes the open-book nature of the test even more helpful.
Fraud Waste and Abuse and General Compliance modules can be skipped if your CMS training is up to date. If your CMS training is not up to date pay close attention and read each question and answer set carefully. This was the most challenging part of the test.
If you’re a current agent who is recertifying for 2023, you can skip to the quizzes for modules 1-3 without going through the module.
Module 4 has the most updates, so you’ll need to pay close attention. Some tips to help you prepare for this module:
- It focuses on prohibitions. Don’t stress out about this. Just take the questions as they come and remember the test is open book.
- Snacks are viewed differently at sales events vs educational events. You cannot bundle snacks at a sales event even if the value is under $15 per person. At an educational event, all that matters is value.
- Brush up on compensation, as this topic also appears in module 4.
- Module 4 also clarifies new disclaimers that agents need to use in certain circumstances. We will provide additional clarification and training as we get closer to AEP.
In module 5, there is a double question with only 1 set of answers. Don’t get thrown by what may be an error. Pay attention to the set of answers and use them to decide which question you need to focus on.
Additional Tips for AHIP 2023
- Even though you will likely never sell one, brush up on PFFS plans.
- You’re going to hear more and more about MSA plans, so pay close attention to those.
- Make sure you familiarize yourself with Medicaid eligibility and coordination. If you need a refresher, check out our Guide to Selling D-SNPs for the full rundown of Special Needs Plans.
- There have been clarifications to the scope of Section 1557 of the Affordable Care Act. Pay close attention to the Nondiscrimination section.
Make Sure You're Ready for AEP
Now that certifications have launched, we can expect First Looks to start rolling in soon. If you aren’t registered for our website, sign up now to make sure you can access First Looks as soon as we publish them.
We’re Here for You!
We understand how intimidating AHIP can be, and how stressful it is to have your earning capabilities determined by a single test. Our Sales Support team is here and ready to help you make it through certification season successfully. Give us a call at 800-695-0280 to discuss any questions or concerns you have about AHIP 2023, carrier certifications, or anything else related to Medicare Sales.