AEP is almost here. By now, you’ve purchased your leads and business reply cards for plan year 2021. While you wait for those BRC leads to come in, have you developed a plan for how you’ll work them?
Preparation and Record-Keeping
Before you start calling back your BRC responses, have a plan in place for tracking what you discuss with each prospect. Determine what tools and materials you’ll need and have them on hand so that you can answer questions as quickly and thoroughly as possible.
- Pull together any plan documents you’ll need to reference. Check NCC’s Carrier Document Library for any documents you may be missing.
- Have NCC’s Product Finder open on your computer to quickly search products.
- Open the Medicare Quote Engine so that you can check rates for the plans you discuss.
- Have links ready for E-apps and your enrollment platform, if you use one, so that you can send them instantly at the prospect’s request.
- Be prepared to record the client’s details using your method of choice. NCC’s Medicare Needs Assessment can help with this. Be ready to fill in the PDF and save a copy for each lead you talk to, or if you prefer, print several copies before you start calling leads.
- Remember to cross-sell. Once you’re talking to a prospect, it only takes a few minutes to sell them an ancillary. We show you which plans to sell in 5 Best Medicare Ancillary Products, 4 Cancer Plans Compared, and 4 Hospital Indemnity Plans Compared.
Contacting Medicare Leads
A note about door-knocking: Communities are handling the COVID-19 pandemic differently. You’ll need to assess whether door-knocking should be part of your AEP plans this year. If you choose to visit leads at home, wear a mask and be prepared to socially distance. You should also disinfect any items you bring along with you and let prospects know that you have done so.
Whether you plan to call or visit the leads who respond to your BRC’s, you’ll want to make contact as soon as possible. With the recent growth in call centers, this AEP is likely to be even more competitive than usual. Read Convert More Business Reply Cards with Two Easy Steps for more information on the importance of getting in touch with prospects quickly.
In the past, it’s been best to contact leads on Wednesday or Thursday between 4 and 8 pm. With many people self-quarantining and working from home, you may have luck reaching prospects during the day this AEP.
Starting the Conversation
Here are a couple of scripts to get you started. Tailor them to your personality and sales approach.
Option 1 – Discussing products on the phone:
“Hi [prospect name], so glad I caught you! I know that you are busy, but I’m calling to follow up on your request for Medicare information. Do you have a few minutes now? I have an opening at 10:00 am tomorrow and another Thursday at 2:00 pm if one of those times would be better.”
Option 2 – Requesting a visit:
“Hello, My name is [agent name]. I’m calling because I received your request for Medicare information. Would you be comfortable with me bringing that information by? My schedule is filling up quickly but I still have time available tomorrow at 10:00 am or Thursday at 2:00 pm. I’m happy to wear a mask and disinfect my laptop beforehand.”